Ron,

I don't have the 5k to compare, but have read and tried all the settings of
the K3 for AGC and NR/NB.  I have found the wide variety of settings very
beneficial as I can set the K3 for the best performance in my situation.  I
think that a recent post had at least 4 URL's you could visit to help you
understand the settings.  The K3 does so much more than any radio I have
owned or own.  I can foul up the NR or NB along with the AGC settings just
as well as any good appliance operator can, so some trial and error along
with a technical read on how these functions interact will turn any
appliance operator into a knowledgeable and successful user.

One more aside:  I can get rid of most any noise with AGC settings, but
these will knock the signals down a bit.  The electric fence across the
street with S5 signals can be eliminated!  But not without some signal loss.
The underlying noise level is around s2-3 most days.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ