The K2 cable only has the TS RX and GND connections used for serial
communication. It does not have connections for RTS or DTR which can be used
to key the K3 because the K2 does not have those signal pins. The K2 DB9
socket is not a true RS-232 connector and you can damage the K2 by plugging
a real serial cable into it. Therefore it would be best to buy a separate
proper cable for use with the K3 and only the K3 rather than modify your K2
cable and then risk damaging your K2.

Julian, G4ILO

Philip L. Graitcer-2 wrote:

> I am using a built according to the manual K2 cable between my K3 and
> USB/serial port adapter/computer. It "seems" to have good
> functionality, except I can't use the Function keys in the N1MM logger
> to send code. I suspect it might be that jumper that was in the K2
> cable.
>
> If the K2 cable is not compatible for the K3, can I make it that way
> (since I have an extra).
>
> Or do I have another problem?

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.