Mike,

If you look carefully at the long side of those capacitors, you will
note that that side has rounded corners - the narrow other end has sharp
anglular transitions from the end to the sides - so the narrow end is
flat, while the larger end is "rounded".

None-the-less, it does not matter much in that particular application -
both ends of that capacitor are isolated from ground and the trimmer
must be adjusted with a fully insulated (non-metallic) tool if you are
to achieve the correct setting.

Adjust it first with a non-metallic tool, and if you still cannot find a
null point, look for the problem some other place than the trimmer (the
windings of the bi-filar wound toroid are the most probable problem point.

73,
Don W3FPR