Hi Terje,

The KX3 is a completely different radio from the Vertex 1210. It is
much smaller, lighter, and has far less current drain. It can even be
used hand-held. There's simply no room for a 20-W PA and/or a large
battery.

The 1210 is a channelized "man pack" radio, which definitely has its
advantages for certain operating situations.

However, the 1210 is about 4 times larger than the KX3 by volume, and
about 5 times heavier. It draws about 3 times as much current when
receive is active (it draws less in "Saver" mode, but this is with the
receiver squelched, periodically looking for channel activity).

Despite the KX3's much smaller size/weight/current drain, it has
several major advantages over the 1210 as a general-purpose ham
transceiver: 6 meter coverage (and possibly 2 m, 4 m, or other bands),
FM and data modes, large display, large VFO knob, controls for many
more functions, optional attached keyer paddle, and optional narrow
roofing filters for high dynamic range. Of course there's also the
external 100-W PA.

The KX3's current drain is low enough that it can function well with
an extremely light battery pack (8 AA cells, internally, or your
choice of external batteries). We went with AA cells because of their
flexibility and ubiquity. You can always borrow some from other
electronic devices in a pinch. You can power the radio for 5-10 hours
of typical transceive operation or 16 hours receive-only from a set of
nonrechargeable lithium camera batteries. Or you can use NiMH, with
the internal charger keeping them ready to go.

So it's really an apples/oranges comparison, in my heavily-biased
opinion  :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR