I'm a novice in this area, so I just offer this up as a possibility.
Haven't tried downloading any of the Elecraft manuals into my IPad, but have
loaded public domain books from Gutenberg.  In reading about how to do this
I found that the EBF (electronic book format) strips all graphics and only
leaves words.  That is fine for what I wanted, but for a manual you would
certainly want the graphics.   Was there some kind of format choice when you
loaded the pdf manual into iBooks?   If so, selecting EBF isn't probably a
good choice.  I'm also interested in the answer to this as I also want to
eventually put my Elecraft manuals into my Ipad.

73  Craig   AC0DS