The lesson is:

If you change menu items related to K3 calibration settings, reboot the K3.

Here's what embarrassed me.

A local recently licensed ham brought his newly built K3-100 over for
some final tuneups.

We checked the various earlier calibrations done and then went to the RF
gain calibration.  It worked except we ended up with an ERROR DSE
message.  The manual said to reload the DSP firmware.  We did.  Rebooted
the K3, redid the calibration and the error went away. Note: the
firmware versions were the same.

Next we then did the S meter calibration and REF CAL steps (he was off a
whole 27 Hz).

The owner wanted to know how to set the mike and compression levels.  So
we went to SSB.  Pressed the mike and got a solid carrier.  No settings
were wrong and it wasn't RF related.  This was embarrassing since the
SSB mode had apparently worked before. Was it something I did to kill
his K3?

The solution: Reboot the K3.
Just why this happened is still a mystery.

He also brought over his newly assembled P3.  It worked fine too.

Both builds were good work for a recently licensed ham.  It illustrates
how good the design and assembly instructions are.

He has now been able to exhale after holding his breath during the
entire assembly process.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.