Tnx Augie!

Yes, my 'large' aircraft work involved mostly piston-engined stuff like B-50
bombers (B-29's on steroids) and RC-121s (Super-G Constellations) in the
1950's. I remember reading about the leading edge radiators, but I never
worked with them. Jets that I worked on, like the F-86, F-101, etc., were a
bit small for "HF" antennas <G>.

Some aircraft I worked with did use the "loop" you mentioned with the wire
to the top of the stab. That eliminated the tendency for the fuselage to
shield the antenna from the ground too!

I have always been impressed with the simple elegance of the original Zepp,
once I learned how the feeders worked even with one side of the open wire
feedline terminated in "nothing", Hi!

73,

Ron AC7AC