This is exactly correct! A "bad" (i.e. incapable) ATU is useless, and
for mobile, at least, external power is not a problem. Even using the
radio as a BPS (backpacker's special) it is much less problematic to
carry a small external battery pack than an external ATU. You can use
the battery pack to keep your electric socks warm while waiting for
sunspots...

John Ragle -- W1ZI

On 6/6/2011 10:31 AM, David Yarnes wrote: [snip]