I've seen this kind of calculation before, and for some events, like
Field Day, it's clear that QRP can compete on scores quite
effectively.  But that's using CW, and probably also PSK31.  Dave's
numbers suggest that it might also be different for North American
contacts (for those of us within North America), compared to crossing
an ocean.  But for me, SSB is much less effective -- I've too often
been able to copy people easily, and have them not react to my 10
watts at all.

But to me, that means use CW for contests, and if I try SSB I
shouldn't worry about not getting through.  Meanwhile, I'll work on
better antennas, and be more persistent so that when the propagation
gods smile I'll be there.

Still, I may get this 100-watt thing when it comes out, or at least
within a year or two.

     Peter W0LLN