Ken,

I prefer a narrow chisel tip, but a conical tip will do the job fine,
many like them better than the chisel tip.  I would suggest the 1/32
inch because it will transfer heat better do to its larger mass.  Use a
temperature of 750 degF or higher for best results.  You will do more
damage by "heat-soaking" with a too cold soldering tip that you will
with high temperatures.  You should be able to have the solder flow out
onto both the lead and the solder pad in a 2 to 3 second period.

You may install the power mod resistors during the initial build - but
be cautioned, the KX1 PA output circuit has components that will not
stand much more than 4 watts for a substantial time.  If your power
output goes to 5 watts or more, you may want to back off the power mod
and install the original resistors.

When building and installing the KX3080 low pass filter board, follow
the instructions very carefully.  If your assembly does not look exactly
like the diagrams, it will be wrong and will cause you problems - that
is the area which gives builders the most grief.

73,
Don W3FPR