Once upon a time there was a HAM who thought a nearby tree would make a
great anchor point for a wire antenna. Careful searching revealed no obvious
object to attach to the rope, so being inventive he grabbed his wife's small
ball pion hammer and tied it to the antenna.

A big swing of the arm followed by a nice release saw the hammer sail up to
the tree. Now I am not calling the tre a terrorist, BUT, the tree saw the
hammer coming and batted the hammer away....yep, straight back at the
offending Ham who was last seen diving for cover under a convenient shelter
covered with cloth.

Uh Huh, you guessed it, the hammer went through the covering and attempted
an assault on the Ham diving for cover under the table beneath the cover.

I am still getting ribbed to this day by the XYL who thought the whole event
was worthy of her relaying the story to whomever happens to be around when
the topic of portable antennas get a mention.

The 'knot' on the head is slowly healing...:-(

Gary

On 18 June 2011 02:27, Terry Schieler <terry.schie...@wirelessusa.com>wrote:

> Stan,
>
> Great suggestion.  However, I would need to use a borrowed golf ball as
> mine would find WATER even in the high desert.
>
> 73,
>
> Terry, W0FM

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment