For me it was 1958, age 11. My first station was a Viking Adventurer and
HQ-110 (had it for 12 years). Never touched anything more sophisticated
until I upgraded (in 1970) to an HW-100 (used it for 12 years, too). In
the early 1990s, I got into restoring and operating "vintage gear." I had
several stations on the air, sharing an antenna system. Viking
Valiant/NC-303; Viking Ranger/HQ-170; Viking Adventurer/HQ-110; Eico
720/730/722 with Drake 2B/2BQ; Collins S-Line with 30L-1; Globe King
500/75A-4. So, I finally had a chance to try all the radios over which I
had salivated as a teenager. Today, the only remaining jewels are Globe
King 500/75A-4.

With regard to amplifiers, unlike transceivers, you're only dealing with
one of two "directions" - output. Issues like efficiency are important but
probably more important are issues of clean output and reliability. This
is especially true for contest use where the amplifier can be pounded for
48 hours, straight, at maximum power out and greater than 50 percent duty
cycle.

I am currently using an Alpha 87A and Ten-Tec Centurion in an SO2R set up.
Both work well, and work reliably. If I replace either with a KPA-500, it
will probably be the Centurion. Here, the KPA-500 has the instant
switching/instant tuning advantage. But, it runs half the power. It also
covers 6 meter - a band I have never tried, and for which I have no
antenna(s). I have no doubt about reliability or service responsiveness
when it comes to Elecraft. So, it will come down to how much is instant
bandswitch/instant tuning worth to me. And, will I miss the extra few dB
in signal strength. I have not even considered replacing the Centurion
with alternative solid-state amps from Ameritron, Tokyo Hy-Power, or the
one from Italy.

Rob K6RB