Saving that $110 plus postage is one advantage of being a "solder jockey" -
but I've never managed to damage one of those IC's with a brief signal no
matter how loud. They saturate, keeping any voltage spikes inside the limits
they can withstand.

What will kill one, IMX, is a sustained saturated signal (for several
minutes) that eventually causes the chip to overheat from excessive power
dissipation.

Big Bear Lake ought to be beautiful this time of the year, Dave. (I was
raised in Redlands, down below you in the San Bernardino Valley.) But so is
the central Oregon coast this time of the year :-)

73,

Ron AC7AC