I've been using a Comtrol Corp. RocketPort II USB 4-Port Serial Hub that
I picked up used on e-bay for a very reasonable price for a year or so,
works fine on XP, Win7, OS X, & Linux....

73, Ross N4RP

On 6/22/2011 7:03 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>    Hi,
>
> As part of my preparation for Field Day, I was configuring my laptop to
> run the K3 (I normally use a desktop).
> I was reminded that I needed a USB to serial adapter, and all I thought
> I had was a couple cheap prolific adapters.
>
> Then I remember I had an older 4 port USB to serial converter - an
> EdgePort/4 from InsideOut, but the drivers I had worked only with Win2K
> - I went searching, and found that Digi is now producing what appears to
> be the same EdgePort adapters (converters), so I looked for and found
> their drivers.
>
> All I can say is that this EdgePort/4 works like a champ, and the new
> drivers did indeed work.  I was even able to run my K2 through it with
> Ham Radio Deluxe, and I know that the K2 gives problems with other
> adapters I have used.
>
> So if anyone is looking for a good USB to serial adapter (single or
> multiport), take a look at the EdgePort  The new ones by Digi are quite
> pricey, but some auction sites have the older ones by InsideOut (IO)
> priced very low.
>
> These are devices intended for commercial use rather than consumer, and
> I now have 4 serial ports on my XP laptop that actually work.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum
transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”