Joe

You're right - the correct name is the MicroHam CW Keyer.  Router
version 7.7.1  Was using the latest N1MM 11.5.1

I was not using a PTT cable - I had "PTT via Radio Command" checked in
the N1MM serial port setup.  I did not have "Energize Hardware and
Software PTT" because I wasn't using Hardware PTT.  Should I check it
anyway?

I don't think this is a MH issue.  Sounds more like you suggested, N1MM
is not releasing the PTT properly when a key is struck - or the K3 is
being confused by the software command.  It may be a data-clash timing
issue depending on exactly when in the sequence of commands flying back
and forth I hit a key.  I say this because the lockup doesn't happen
every time I interrupt the auto CQ sequence.  In the heat of battle I
can't say for sure, but it seems like it happened if I hit a key right
about the same time the auto CQ was just getting started.

If it is a data clash, one solution could be to hook up the PTT line and
use hardware PTT.  What do you think?

Buck
k4ia