Something to remember is that your coax switching needs to handle
high-power.  If it is rated at 500w it will likely fail; go for at
least a kilowatt.  Manual multi-position switches are common.  But
using coax relays is an option if you need fast switching for contesting, etc.

Just remember not to switch "hot".  That means not when the KPA-500
is transmitting.  This will cause arcs, pitting of contacts, possible
failure of the output devices in the amp.

I recently had an experience running 1250w at 144-MHz where a coax
relay overheated and melted the movable contact shorting it out and
causing extreme anode and grid current on my 8877.  The relay was
rated for 1200w at 150-MHz.  It was not "hot-switched" as it is
controlled by a sequencer.  None the less the contact got so hot that
is folded 180-degrees back on itself so that it contacted ground in
the coaxial cavity of the switch.  It is being replaced with a coax
switch rated for 3kW.  Oh the 8877 is probably OK as it can handle
2500w for short durations.
http://www.kl7uw.com/Switch-001_1.jpg

So not all manufacturers are equal - check the rating of switches
used for QRO.  Ratings are all for low SWR and derate when SWR
climbs!  Also often overlooked is insertion loss in relays (more
significant as freq. rises into VHF/UHF).  I find the simple
open-frame coax bypass switches that are used in most commercial amps
are not low loss or flat SWR.  My 6m Mirage presents a 1.4 SWR to the
K3 when its in bypass and I have a 50-ohm termination on the
amp.  Power loss is about 1w (of the 8w output of the K3/10).  That
is about 0.6 dB.  Typical loss of VHF coax relays is 0.05 dB  No one
would confuse a Mirage with "quality", of course.

The simple fool-proof switch is to connect cables manually.
Message: 41