On 7/10/2011 11:54 PM, Edward R. Cole wrote:
> I appreciate your suggestions and observations...but my hearing loss
> is not just one of intensity and frequency.

Ed,

I understand your more severe hearing loss, but I was responding IN PART
to many others on the list with much less several loss than you, and can
use RXEQ to solve their own problems, at least until their hearing loss
progresses.

As a Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society,  I also understand the
issues with headphones fitting hearing aids, just as I also understand
the DIFFERENCES between hearing loss and hearing aids.

Etymotic Research, one of the major mfrs of signal processing for
hearing aids of the type you wear, has long been a supporter of the
Chicago Section of the AES, and their engineers are active in that
section and made excellent technical presentations to the section. Until
I moved to CA in 2006, I was an active member of that Section. Nearly 10
years ago, my colleague Bob Schulein (who was the designer of the Shure
SM57 and SM58 and by then joined Etymotic) presented his work on the
development of directional mics for hearing aids.

It's really good that you have raised these issues in detail, because
the physical design of a hearing aid has major impact on whether it CAN
work with headphones -- that is, where are the sensors, and are there
headphones that can comfortably be worn with them in place. This is an
important question that any of us must resolve when BUYING a hearing aid.

I suspect that any good headphones that WILL fit will work reasonably
well if they are also sufficiently comfortable.  That was the reason for
my comments responding to a question (don't remember if it was yours)
about comfort and the CM500s. These ARE circumaural phones, so they
might fit you.  Ditto for the Sony 7506.

73, Jim Brown K9YC