John,

That sounds like you could have a shorted cable.  Unplug it from the KX1
and check between the tip and the shell with your ohmmeter.
You did say "old J38" - if it has been sitting around for a while, maybe
it has developed a short somewhere.

If you have the J-38 on its original base, did you connect the cable to
the rearmost terminals on the base, or did you connect the cable
directly to the terminals on the frame of the key.  You must connect to
the terminals on the frame of the key - the rearmmost terminals have a
shorting bar under them.

73,
Don W3FPR