From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Shane
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:27 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Resistance Checks on pg. 45 (K3)

Hi,

I hope this is the right place for this post, although I'm sure it's
not because its kind of a dumb question.

I've been assembling a K3 and I'm up to the point for doing resistance
checks in the assembly manual on pg. 44. And yet I know nothing about
resistance checks (or electronics).

I'm worried about the 1st check where I'm supposed to check the 12VDC
IN connectors on the rear panel. I bought a Fluke 117 DMM, switched it
to the Ohm sign, its set to auto ranging, then I put the black pin in
the black 12V connecter of the K3, put red on red (made sure the pins
are touching metal in the connectors) and I'm not seeing anything
(just 0L on the display of my DMM). And I've also stepped through the
manual range settings as well, but to no avail.

However the following checks on pg. 45 showed me some numbers. I can't
tell if they're good numbers yet as I'm trying to figure out the
decimal places and if they match what the manual says, but at least
there I'm seeing numbers.

So I was afraid to plug it in and do the initial power check.

Can anyone comment? Much appreciated.