I'm sure the reference level setting is why you don't see any signals as you
have already surmised. As someone else mentioned I think the red blinking LED
is normal. At least my PIII has a red blinking LED or two inside which I was a
bit surprised to discover. I ate concluded it was probably trying to signal
that it had found some rare DX or that the Elecraft monster was attempting to
escape. One can't be too careful about things like that!

 Bruce-W8FU