David,

Just follow the instructions in order and all will be well.  You must
flush cut the relay leads after soldering, and that will not be easy if
you mount the capacitors first.

When it comes to the capacitors that fit above the relays, yes, you will
trim the leads before soldering as instructed in the manual.  The
inductor leads are similar - just follow the instructions.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 7/28/2011 9:24 AM, David Dietrich wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I consider myself to be a pretty experienced kit builder. Normally I follow
> the instructions step-by-step, but sometimes I deviate if it will make things
> go smoother for me.
>
> I am working on the KAT2 right now. I am starting the L-C board. The manual
> says to install all the relays after I installed those small "102" caps. I
> noticed that other caps go into holes that will be directly under the relays
> on the other side of the board. My dilemma is that I am concerned that if I
> don't install those caps BEFORE installing the relays, I run the risk of
> piercing them with the leads or having solder go through and melt them. I
> know how fragile the relays are because I nicked one with my soldering iron
> when I built my K1. It had to be replaced. Conversely, if I install the caps
> first, I run the risk of not having the relays sit flat...even if I trim the
> leads beforehand. I know this is a critical issue as space is at a premium on
> the boards, and it has to fit with it's control board within tight
> tolerances. Should I follow the instructions, or deviate slightly so I know I
> won't damage something? The KAT2 is quite possibly the most important option
> one wou
 ld