Rich,

Suggest you look into silicone hose repair tape for the coax connection.
Electrical tape tends to unwrap and/or leave a messy residue. This stuff can
be found in the garden hose section. It's a bit more expensive, but does a
great job. I've wrapped my Steppir Boots with it, great UV protection.

NeverSez (sic) or aluminum wiring protection goo found at an electrical
supply house will work. There's copper based stuff that is marine grade and
used on thing like propeller bolts that will work well too. Wear gloves or
have rags around, it's messy and will stain.

I wouldn't bother cleaning the whole element, unless you're going to paint
them (or powder coat). They'll oxide again. From street level you'll never
know either.

Don't forget to protect the joints and hardware on your Glenn Martin as
well.

See ya on da air...

73,
Julius