The instructions tell you to insert all of the pins so the connector
will be more difficult to remove (so it will not fall off by itself).  I
do not consider that a problem, if you put in only the 4 pins which have
wires attached, the force required to insert the connector (and remove
it) is considerable.  In other words, I do not think it will fall off
with only those 4 pins inserted.  But make your choice - only the 4 pins
or insert all the unused pins.  Electrically, it makes no difference,
mechanically, it will take more force to insert and remove the connector
if all the pins are inserted.

73,
Don
W3FPR