Hello,

I have been using one of these "no counterpoise"
antennas with my K1-4 and KAT1.  It seems to work
pretty well - good match with ATU on all bands and I
can make contacts.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4762

It's essentially a 50 foot piece of twin lead with the
"ground" side cut short.  A Zepp, I guess.  I don't
know much about antennas.

A question for the antenna savvy - do you think a
simple random wire (or perhaps 1/2 wave or 1/4 wave)
with 1/4 wave ground radials would work better?  I'd
like to try myself, but I don't have spare wire.  I'll
get some, but probably not in time for field day.

Also, I've been using this "no counterpoise" antenna
in an upside-down L shape, going out my apartment
window, horizontally over to a tree, and then down to
about 10' off the ground.  Should this antenna work
oriented 100% vertically?  I am trying to decide how
to rig it up on field day from the ground up into a
tree.  Any idea on what the expected radiation pattern
would be?

Thanks,
Jason
AC6XA