Typically "zero beat" means getting the "beat note" down to zero, where you
hear no tone.

In the days of AM transmission, you'd hear the beat note between the "other"
station and could get your transmitter onto the same frequency by keying
your transmitter (at low power) with a "spot" function, and then adjust your
transmitter VFO for the lowest possible beat note. If you were lucky and had
a good audio system and a fine-grained stable VFO, as the note got really
low you'd hear a rhythmic pulsing that you can adjust to very close to zero.

In other more modern use with CW, you hear two tones and you need to line
them up.  If you're asked to "zero beat" with another station on CW, you
want your transceiver side tone to match the other station's tone, and you
want the transceiver side tone to be offset appropriately to make this
happen.  Many transceivers have a "PITCH" control to set the CW offset tone
for user preference.  Some advanced transceivers have a CW "Spot" function
that adjusts the transceiver VFO to match the side tone, putting you on the
right frequency as another CW signal.  In SSB communications it's a little
harder, you have to tune your VFO so that the "other guy" speech sounds
natural.  If you don’t know the other guys' voice, you might tend to be off
a few cycles.  I can understand SSB signals at some distance from zero beat,
and in the heat of a contest I might not tune very accurately.  Fortunately
many others can understand this as well.

Some of us have more trouble than others matching two pitches.  People who
do this well scored high on the Navy Boot Camp Sonar aptitude test. Others
of us are "tone deaf" and cannot discern the difference between two notes
that don't differ by much.

Dick