David -

How high is your antenna?  If your antenna is 20 feet or less above the
ground, it is well below the radio horizon for stations 100 miles away.

In fact, not allowing for various forward scatter propagation modes, an
antenna 20 feet above average terrain will "talk" about 6 miles.  100
feet = 15 miles, and for 100 miles, 5000 feet above average terrain.
Keep in mind that tropospheric scatter or other modes can extend these
distances quite a bit, and the numbers assume the distant antenna is at
zero elevation.

Obviously, if the distant antenna is elevated the required height at the
"near" end becomes less, or the range the two stations can communicate
becomes greater.  This is the obvious reason that repeater sites are
often located on mountain tops.    One of our local repeaters is located
on a mountain at about 4400 feet elevation, and it covers out to about
75 miles, using a 10 watt transmitter.

Absent the frequency readout problem, your transverter may be working
just fine.

- Jim, KL7CC