On Jun 25, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Matt Osborn wrote:

The high voltage bias supply on the KIO2 is between -6v to -12, so
your 19.4 is probably sufficient, but the KIO2 Vss, U4 pin 8 is -9v on
my KIO2. The MAX1406 wants from -13.2 to -10.8, but the absolute max
ratings are from +0.3 to -14.0, so you're probably OK with the -5.87.

I would expect the supply to be a bit more robust in the KPA100 than in the KIO2 because of differences in the circuit. Still, the supply is in the range I have seen in many KRC2 units, and should work just fine. Note that the KIO2 and KRC2 use the same FET-based circuit for the negative supply, while the KPA uses a bipolar transistor circuit which also develops a larger bias supply for the amplifier. The KPA circuit has much greater current capacity. Having said that, for the KPA tthose voltages are relatively low, and may be a clue. Does the amplifier work properly? If so, then this is probably not the problem. But... (see below).

The real suspect is that U4 pin 12 should be reading +5V from the
AUXBUS on the control board.  The only other use of AUXBUS on the
KPA100 is U1 pin 28 (RB7 Serial Programming Data).

It would be worth checking out AUXBUX line for a short (C25) or an
open P1 pin 1.

If the Auxbus line were being shorted, the entire radio would not work, but would show an IO error. Unless this is being seen, the Auxbus is just fine. Also, just as a hint, the Auxbus is not used for device programming anywhere in the K2/100. It _is_ a bussed signal, and if it is shorted in any connected module (like the KPA100) it will cause the entire Auxbus to go silent (and the K2 to show an error message).

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:06:46 -0400, "Frank Van Cleef W1WCG"