Kevin,

That behavior is typical of a bad solder connection somewhere.
I suggest removing the KXAT1 and installing the jumper - now what is the
power output (you will have to use an external wattmeter) - operate it
into a 50 ohm dummy load to eliminate the variables that may be
introduced when operating into an antenna.

If the behavior continues when the back is put on, then the problem is
on the main board - OTOH, if all works as normal, the problem is in the
KXAT1.

73,
Don W3FPR