This really sounds more like things that have been reported here in the
past, eventually pinned on the com port that gets wings because something
else hijacks the com port in mid-transfer, OR the com port has more than one
item assigned to it and something else running on the computer goes for it.
 OR a USB port or separate USB hub is underpowered (this is exceedingly
common), and the hub goes bad with more than one item attached if more than
one stream is active.  This last was actually true of motherboard USB ports
on one motherboard, and only a separate PCI USB card, with it's drivers, and
completely separate UN-shared paths to USB devices would fix it.  The
motherboard ports "sort-of" worked, the issue was intermittent and it drove
us nuts.  Cheep crap on the motherboard.

What OS and version are you people running?

73, Guy.