Yes, I've always had those same pops on RTTY.

Dave, N4QS
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: VK7JB <zen...@netspace.net.au>
Sender: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 06:21:49
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] [K3] - Data mode TX problem from VK7JB

Hi All,

I've just started using my K3 for data modes and have discovered a problem:
prominent, irregular and  short duration clicking/popping heard the
monitored TX audio of the K3, also audible in the transmitted signal when I
listen to my signal on another receiver. There is no clicking artefact on
received signals, only on my transmitted signal.

Here's my set up:
I'm using direct connection from K3 to my laptop.  No interface, but I have
a soundcard in a USB dongle, which I need to connect the audio in and out to
my computer.
I have Data mode A enabled and ALC set to 4 bars solid with the 5th
flickering. Power output is set to 40W. Monitored IMD is good (-29 to-30)
using KK7UQ device for off-air monitoring - the signal is otherwise clean.

I have checked and can confirm that the clicking/popping is independent of:
Line in Gain/soundcard audio drive settings; data mode used
(PSK31/RTTY/Olivia - all are affected); digimode software application used
(same with Fldigi, Airlink Express, digipan and HRD) and finally, I have USB
soundcard dongles of 2 different manufacturers and the problem is present
using both.

Any ideas or advice gratefully received.  I'd like to get rid of this TX
clicking!

73 and thanks in advance,

John
VK7JB