There are, however, 15-pin straight-through cables available that you can
use with a circuit interrupter (female-male D-Sub connector). I got a six
foot cable, just about right in my station. You simply pull the unwanted
pins from the D-sub. This is the same technique Elecraft uses with their
too-short, custom  KPAK3AUX cable and its interrupter although you'll want
to pull a few more pins.

/Rick

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Peter Chamalian <w...@arrl.net> wrote:

> I know the instructions for the KPA-500 say not to use a standard SVGA
> cable.  The special KPAK3AUX cable is the way to go.  But that cable is too
> short for the arrangement I had for my station so I thought I could use a
> standard SVGA expansion cable (female connector on one end, male on the
> other).
>

> What I didn't fully digest is that the wiring is incompatible!  I thought
> the difference was merely the removal of a few pins from a standard SVGA
> cable.
>

> Nope, that doesn't work!  So if your station requires a longer cable than
> the KPAK3AUX you can either purchase two cables and put them in series or
> you can make up your own.  Don't use a standard SVGA cable at all.
>

> In my case, I just rearranged the equipment.
>
> Pete, W1RM

Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA