Thankyou for the links regarding NR. I hope possibly in future firmware
updates that a signal selection
 scale will provide more bleed-through at the -1 setting, allowing for a
less distorted starting point with
 better/more audio level.

 In addition hopefully the comparison signal selection process algorithms
can be improved to better discern noise
 against audio.

After a year with the K3  and experimenting with settings I am happy with
the K3 as I have learnt to deal with
 various signals on various bands. I quite often have local op's telling me
they could not hear the station I was talking too.

For me having both the 2.1 and 1.8 k 8 pole filters is a plus and I usually
listen between 1.8 to 2.1 k width. I use AGC threshold
at 8 and slope 0. RX Eq set to N1EU pink noise roll-off settings (red).

Some time ago I listened to a USA 40m net on a noisy band. I went through
every NR combination with 6-1 giving the relatively
 best result for NR settings.

Then I turned off the NR and turned on the ATT (RF gain already back to 2
o'clock) and what a difference. The noise had
 become suppressed and transparent, and every weak signal was copied with
good clarity compared with the best NR
 setting I could find, which still sounded like mush in comparison. So I
learned using ATT was the way to go.

The K3 obviously has plenty of sensitivity to spare. It just makes me wonder
how Yaesu's DNR works etc, as it seems very
 effective without the same issues. Maybe they use a different method?

Adrian ... vk4tux