I good friend has kindly lent me his K3. I have noticed that the cw
weight changes inversely proportional to the speed setting -- just as it
does on my old K2. The timing sounds decent below about 35 wpm, but once
the speed gets to around 40 wpm, the weight becomes very light, and the
keying sounds like it's being generated by a poorly adjusted bug.

I connected up an oscilloscope to monitor the keying envelope while
sending a string of dits, and it's easily seen that at slower speeds the
dit length is greater than the space between dits. At around 35 wpm,
this reverses and the dit length becomes progressively shorter than the
space between dits.

I would expect that regardless of speed, the dit length should equal the
length of time between dits. Or, at least the ratio should remain
constant, and a function of the weight setting.

I also tried to key the radio using an external Logikey K-3 keyer which
*does* maintain a constant and equal dit-to-space ratio throughout its
range, but the K3 still shortens the dits as speed is increased.

Is there any way to fix this?

73, Dale
WA8SRA