Mark,

The discussion is about the KX1, and not a battery powered K2 or K3.

You want higher terminal voltage cells in the KX1 internal battery pack
because there is space for only 6 batteries.  6 times 1.25 volts is only
7.5 volts while 6 times 1.65 volts is 9.9 volts - a significant difference.
That is why the higher voltage Lithium (non-rechargable) batteries work
so well in the KX1.

Yes, if using an external battery pack, 10 NiMH batteries is desirable,
11 would be usable too.

73,
Don W3FPR