On Jun 29, 2005, at 7:54 PM, David Dietrich wrote:

It is starting to become decision time for me, and I am in a quandary. Do I choose 80 or 150 KHz
as my tuning range?

David,

I can't speak for others, but I can explain the reasoning I used when I wrote the manual. First, 99% of CW activity occurs in the first 80 kHz of all bands covered by the K1. Second, covering a smaller range results in finer tuning resolution.

When we first designed the K1 there was a reasonable amount of activity from 7100-7150 and 21100-21150. This is the main reason we offered a wider tuning-range option. Activity in these segments is now fairly sparse, with the exception of some gatherings near 7145 that I've heard about, so for the average builder I'd recommend 80 kHz.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---