Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

>>They also didn't do much except make us feel better. Ferrite core chokes
>>actually DO something useful.  The cracked balun was poorly designed, so
>>it overheated.  That's a DESIGN mistake, not a "defect" of ferrite cores.
>>
>>73, Jim K9YC
>>

>Why would you think that?  Properly designed, an air core balun and a
>ferrite core balun are electrically identical.

That simply isn't true. Air-cored chokes are reactive in impedance,
narrowband and easily detuned. A properly designed ferrite core choke is
predominantly resistive and broadband, which makes it a much more
dependable solution.

Steve Hunt G3TXQ has measured a wide range of different chokes and
plotted the results on a graphic that shows this point very clearly.

<http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/>

In Steve's graphic, an effective choke needs the largest possible
bandwidth of dark green, preferably with the black underline denoting
predominantly resistive impedance. This can only be achieved with the
help of ferrite - and even then, only with the right ferrite core and
the right kind of winding.

Air-cored chokes are shown to be relatively ineffective, narrowband
devices... and then there's worse. Steve has also shown that the series
reactances of the feedline and the wrong kind of air-cored choke can
sometimes cancel, leading to a higher level of common mode current than
before. This cannot happen with a ferrite choke that is predominantly
resistive.

For further information read Steve's page followed perhaps by my own
article, at:

<http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/in-prac/index.htm#1005>

That in turn will lead you on to K9YC's much longer papers. Steve, Jim
and I have different styles of presentation but we're absolutely agreed
on the one key point: an air-core choke and a ferrite-core choke are
very different indeed.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek