Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im Auftrag von [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Thursday, June 30, 2005 1:00 PM
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Betreff: Re: [Elecraft] Ser 4993 - First Problem

In a message dated 30/06/05 03:24:07 GMT Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

----  Applied power for the first time:
---- heard the relays engage
----  backlight came on
---- Display is  blank, nothing whatsoever in the display
---- turned rig off and back on, no relays this time, but  still nothing in the
display

Reply:--------------------------------------------------

Tim,
The item you should check is that you have soldered pin 1 on the K2 Front
Panel LCD driver U1.

I did miss this when I built my K2 as did a number of others. Not sure why
this happens. Pin 1 of all IC on the PCBs are different being a circular
copper track, though that is no answer why it is missed in  the soldering.

The pin 1 on front panel U1 can be inspected with the board removed.  However
due to the front panel switches and the LCD display positioned above it  is
rather difficult to get a soldering iron in to solder the pad.

Some builders have removed the LCD to access the pad. As I had concerns in
damaging the LCD in the removal, ended up cutting a tiny "V" out of the
plastic corner on the lower edge of the IC socket, just enough to get a  very
small
soldering iron bit to the pad there and solder the pin. The  IC socket plastic
removal is not seen as it is hidden when  assembled.

Bob, G3VVT
K2 #4168