You will also need a means of making the K3 go into transmit. A
"work-around" would be to use VOX.

John G4ZTR

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: 18 October 2011 22:22
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 and JT65-HF

Chuck,

It is "almost" that simple.  If you have a desktop PC, is that simple,
but you connect the K3 line out to the soundcard line-in and the K3 line
in to the soundcard line out.  The levels should be within the range of
adjustment using the K3 controls as well as the soundcard "volume
cotrols" on the computer.

With a laptop, controlling the levels may be more complicated, and may
require some resistive dividers to work properly.  For instance, the
laptop headphone output may be greater than what is normally considered
"line level" - although if the computer is expecting powered speakers,
that one *may* be OK.  If you have a line out jack from the computer,
use that instead of the headphone output.

Connecting the K3 line out to the laptop Mic In, may prove to be
troublesome, although some laptops have a software setting that allows
either line level or mic level using the same jacks - if that is your
case, set it for line level.  If your computer is stuck with only mic
level input, you may have to reduce the K3 line out signal level by
about a factor of 10.  A 10k resistor in series with the K3 output line
plus a 1k resistor on the computer side of the 10k resistor from the AF
line to the AF return (usually the shield).  Place that voltage divider
close to the computer end to keep noise pickup on that signal line to a
minimum.

Remember that the audio input level to the K3 is adjusted differently
than the traditional "wisdom" for other transceivers - use TX TEST to
set your input level (no RF will be transmitted), use DATA A submode,
and adjust the Line In level in the K3 (and/or the output volume and WAV
level in the computer) so the ALC meter illuminates the 4th bar with the
5th bar barely blinking.  The K3 ALC action does not begin until the
audio level hits the 5th bar.

Good luck with your connections and with JT65.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 10/18/2011 2:21 PM, Charles Eklund wrote:
> I'm a new K3 user and love it. I'm also getting back into ham radio after
20+ years of little activity. So, all the new digital modes are new to me.
I'm going to try JT65 and am trying to figure out the connections between my
computer and the K3. Is it as simple as a connection from the earphones on
my computer to the Line In on the K3 and the microphone on the computer to
the Line Out on the K3?

database 6555 (20111018) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 6555 (20111018) __________