And that my friends is why the broadcast stations have extended amounts of
"sheet" copper tying everything to ground that should be.  IMHO.

Mel, K6KBE

________________________________
From: Ron D'Eau Claire <r...@cobi.biz>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT- Coax for ground wire?

I think Jim accidentally reversed his meaning about ground lead inductance.
Lowering the inductance of the ground connection does *not* lengthen the
effective radiator or "add loss".  Allowing the ground system to be part of
the radiator by letting the ground lead have significant inductance and so
add to the overall length of the antenna system may well increase losses and
promote coupling to house wiring, etc. That's good reason to use a
low-inductance ground connection.

When running an end-fed wire as I do, it's useful to keep the rig chassis at
a low RF potential. If the rig is allowed to have significant RF voltage on
it (as when the feed point of the wire is near a voltage loop), the rig adds
my body to the active antenna, changing the tuning.

Also, significant RF voltage floating around the DC supply chassis (because
it's connected to the rig) can do weird things to the voltage regulation if
a junction in the regulator starts rectifying the RF.

In my case the copper sheet terminates in an RF ground system that enters
through the wall a few feet from the operating position, so extending the
sheet to where it enters ensures that the entire copper sheet stays at a
very low RF potential at all times, and having the sheet extend behind the
equipment allows very short ground connections to each chassis, keeping
everything at the same low RF potential.

73,

Ron AC7AC