Perhaps you have a problem with your installation of Lion.   I have Lion
installed on my MBP, and Preview opens the Elecraft pdf stuff just fine when I
use Firefox.  However, Safari seems to work OK, too — I just opened some of the
pdfs from the Elecraft Manuals & Downloads page with no trouble — they come up
right inside Safari.

Bud, W2RU