Alright, apparently I'm not the only one on the planet who didn't know
what BSR's are.  Thank you all who replied to me directly.  For my
colleagues who expressed bewilderment like mine, here is K6KR's cogent
reply:
-------------
Hi, Fred.

Generally you press the BAND button and it returns to the most recent 3
frequency/mode combinations you've used on that band.

So press the 40 meter button, and tune to 7005 and set mode CW.

Then QSY to 20 meters

Then press the 40 meter button, it returns to 7005 CW, the last
frequency/mode used on 40.

Now tune (or direct frequency enter) to 7095 and select LSB.

Now  go to 20

Press the 40 meter button, you're at 7095 SSB, the last 40 meter
frequency/mode. Press 40 again and it changes to 7005 CW (the second
most recently used frequency on 40).
-----------

Thank you Dick.  I'm a linear thinker, so one-step-at-a-time
explanations like yours work best for me.  I never managed to get my
Organic Chem prof to understand that, and a recipe that requires more
than one burner at a time is a non-starter.

I can see how BSR's could be useful in things like the TX or GA QSO
parties.  Counties are numerous [especially TX] and a bit small, and
these QP's are sort of a "chase the mobiles" romp.  Press a band button
once or more and you're back to see if he's moved into a new county.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't remember who was on which frequency.

I will not need BSR's.  When I found out my K3 had memories like my
HT's, I spent a dreary winter morning storing all my favorite
frequencies in them.  When the Elecraft Memory Editor came out, I spent
an equally dreary rainy afternoon re-organizing them since now I could
see them all on the screen with labels.  I haven't used a K3 memory
since.  I don't think I know how.  Apparently, the frequencies weren't
quite as favorite as I first thought.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw
"OChem ... harder than partial differential equations"