Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 14:36:53 -0600
From: "Richard Fjeld" <rpfj...@embarqmail.com>
Subject: [Elecraft] SDR-IF and I/Q questions
To: "elecraft posting" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>

This is the new subject title, and needs some background, so it will
be lengthy this time.

Some of us use SDR-IF, and the new KX3 will use SDR-I/Q methods for
connecting to a computer  running SDR software and seeing the results
on a monitor. (The SDR-IF users must provide a SDR-IF receiver to
bring out the I/Q leads. It is to be assumed that the SDR-IF receiver
is functioning correctly.)  With both types,  I/Q leads are brought
to a computer. (If you are wondering, I am on the list for a KX3)

So the computer AND THE SOFTWARE are the center of attraction here.
This is where great things may happen. (Emphasis on 'may')

Some of us are at different experience levels, but I think we all
would have, and still would, appreciate help to reach
satisfaction.  The reflector is the place for this. The real question
is; Should this be on a dedicated thread?  When I read the KX3 was
going to be SDR capable, I wondered if Elecraft realized what it was
getting into for the reflector?

IMHO, The weak link in this SDR thing is the computer and software.
PSDR-IF has great control features, but when I compare it to HDSDR,
the latter does a great job of displaying the signals and is very
sensitive. PSDR-IF looks at both directions in spectrum, so far, I
can only get HDSDR to look upward in spectrum.

We can't get rid of the mirrored images in PSDR-IF.  ('WE' includes a
friend who still owns 3 of 6 Flex radios he has owned, and 2 of 4
SDR-IF receivers. He is no beginner to SDR.)

My thanks to all who responded. Can't take the space to recap
everything, but Sebastian suggested mirrored images are due to ground
loops. It has been long enough that I can't remember if I checked
that, and I will.  However, why just PSDR-IF and not HDSDR that is
affected?  A ground loop should affect both. Still, it is worth checking out.

Basically, I'm disappointed with the software. I don't mind
installing and setting some options for my type of equipment, but
from there-on I expect it to function conveniently and nearly as well as a P3.

The question for today is; have any Elecraft users achieved that goal
with a computerized pan-adapter? And if so, with what software?  And
if so, do you use a USB to Serial, or straight Serial?

Thanks, from now on it will be shorter.

Richard Fjeld, n0ce
rpfj...@embarqmail.com
I'd rather be learning.