It is also characteristic of the RFI produced by "touch control"
devices, as used for lamps and such.   Have you  powered  down various
circuits in your home to see if one of them is the culprit?   I have had
touch-control RFI from as far away as several houses distance.  Another
source of this type noise is proportional-control aquarium tank heaters,
also battery chargers.  Drifting frequency is often a give-away of
interference from a touch-control device.

Can you hear it on a battery powered portable AM radio?  If so, try
walking around your house and around your neighborhood.  The loop
antenna inside the radio will give  good directional indication when
pointed at or 180 degrees away from the noise source.  Test on an AM
radio station of known direction (preferably from the next town) to get
an idea of how to interpret loop patterns.

Let us know what you discover

- Jim, KL7CC