Hi Toby,

You just confirmed the diagnosis by identifying the problem as only
happening while running high power. You are hearing the COR (carrier
operated relay) in the K3. See page 37 in the manual. Here is an excerpt.

/The sub receiver’s AUX antenna must be well-isolated from the transmit
antenna to avoid activating the sub’s carrier-operated relay./

If you can't physically move your receive antenna you should consider an RF
Limiter like the ICE 196 or use a relay to remove your receive antenna while
transmitting.

73,
Mike K2MK