Another 'old school' carryover was to purchase a replacement for a rig's
final(s) since Murphy decreed they'd fail at the most inconvenient time. So
I ordered spares for my K2 when I built it in 2000.

In spite of all the normal operating gaffs - transmitting briefly into an
open load with infinite SWR too many times, hammering away at the key for
waaaaay too long in a rag chew, etc., the K2 still works like new and the
replacement "finals" are still in my operating desk drawer somewhere...

Ron AC7AC