Hello Mike.  My EFHW vertical is resonant only at 20 meters.  The
*antenna* SWR is lousy everywhere else according to my MJF259 which
stops reporting at 25:1.  -- just as bad as my non-resonant-by-design
44' Cebik doublet with which I've worked the world, at 5 watts and
below. The internal tuners in my KX1, K1, and K2 all tune the antenna
between 1:1 and 1:4.  I've used this vertical with good results on 40
meters and *great* results on 30, 20, 17,12, and 10.

My use of *great* is within the following context:  I have little test
equipment and my background in electronics is truly 'amateur'; I'm still
learning after 51 years and I never seem to be able to learn enough,
fast enough  ;).    Hence the use of the word 'empirical' in the Youtube
description to underscore the casual nature of this rather interesting
comparison between W1ZMB's OCF  up in the clear and my new antenna toy
sitting on his deck.  All I can say is that the darn thing produces
great DX QSOs for me on my 5 watts or less and affords me a second
antenna option in my antenna restrictive community.  Sometimes, a signal
is louder on my doublet than the vertical or vice versa: a quick flip of
a switch and I can try the other antenna.  It's nice to have that
option.

The 9:1 UNUN I used (purchased from the Emergency Radio Club of
Honolulu) was my choice over a parallel tuned circuit because my goal
was to end up with the easiest and fastest antenna to put up and take
down and use.  I don't have to stand next to the antenna and tune a
capacitor this way.   I realize my choice might not be technically
optimum but once again, it reflects the goal I set for myself.

I'm using 20 gauge teflon coated wire because the 33' MFJ pole tapers to
an extremely thin final section - closer to an ultralight fishing pole.
Anything larger than 20 gauge starts to bend the pole's tip over.  In my
own experience - and I once again admit my technical weakness in the
subject area - I have experienced no difficulty with extremely thin wire
at the QRP levels I operate at.  In order to put less strain on the wire
during frequent set up/takedown I chose to wind it around homemade clips
as shown in the video which give me about an 18" diameter.  The video
shows how quickly it can be done with no tangle.

The 22 gauge toroid wire is what the Honolulu folks who designed the
UNUN used.  It seems to be a frequently occuring wire size in other EFHW
papers and construction articles I've read.  Again, I'm sorry that I
don't have the technical background to comment further.

  stan WB2LQF