Mike,

Not all transceivers shift the transmit frequency.

The Elecraft K2 and K3 dial always indicate the carrier frequency, and
what is displayed does not change when changing modes.  With Elecraft,
the pitch of signals will change when changing between CW and SSB.

OTOH, my Yaesu transceivers do shift the displayed frequency when
changing between SSB and CW, but they shift the receiver - the display
will indicate the transmitted carrier frequency.  If you were receiving
a signal in SSB mode and shift to CW, the pitch will stay the same.

With either Elecraft or Yaesu, there is nothing complicated to figure
out - set the displayed frequency to the center channel frequency - but
with the Yaesu, one must do that AFTER setting to CW mode.  With the
Elecraft gear, you can set the frequency in whichever mode you choose,
then switch to CW.

73,
Don W3FPR