An update on the spot function problem I had with my K2:

After a few more calibrations I found the spot problem to persist.  I finally
tried testing it with a different transceiver instead of the KX1, and the spot
function is working properly.  As it turns out the KX1 was improperly
calibrated -- not the K2!  I calibrated the KX1 and now everything is working
well.

Thanks for the input,
--Andrew