Wayne Burdick wrote:

>>> I use B SET to adjust preamp and other settings when using diversity.

>> And using B SET is about the most cumbersome operation imaginable to
>>simply  check (or set) subrx preamp.

>Macros?

With great respect, macros are not the answer to every usability
problem.

Macros are enormously powerful, but they are not a substitute for
cleaning up the rough edges that still remain in the K3's firmware.

Macros need to be used sparingly because the K3 only has two completely
uncommitted programmable keys (PF1 and PF2). Any additional macros will
either block some of the normal functions of the Memory/DVR keys or else
they must be executed from outside the K3. Each of those workarounds
will create problems for a segment of users.

And then there's the SPLIT button. The one button that above all others
*should* be reassignable to a macro, is not!

The K3's SPLIT button simply engages split mode and does nothing more.
Every other high-end transceiver has the option to protect the user from
accidentally transmitting on the same frequency as VFOA - and most DXers
will want to take that option. But in the K3, this 'smart split' option
requires a macro which must then be assigned to some *other*
programmable key. The existing SPLIT button then becomes a booby-trap
for the tired owner; or even worse, it risks a very unpleasant
introduction to the K3 for someone else.

I'm sorry if this reads like a rant, but someone just said "Macros?" one
time too many.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek