Matt,

On the aquisition of test equipment, there is a tender balance between price
and performance.  And it revolves around how often the equipment will be
used and just how accurate is necessary.  Tradeoffs are often required.  For
instance, I have a very good frequency counter, and my signal generator,
while quite stable, does not have a digital readout of frequency, so the
frequency resolution of the generator alone is sometimes inadequate - I use
my very stable and accurate counter to set the freqency of the signal
generator, so I don't need a signal generator with digital readout, so I
looked for one that would be stable.

You will have to review your own needs and justify the purchase of test gear
within the range of your ham budget.  Often, you can combine instrumentation
to produce more accurate results.  As you can likely determine from the
above paragraph, a really good frequency counter is the highest on my list
of priorities, as is an accurate DVM and a good 'scope - with the ones I
have,  I can measure frequency, voltage and phase of RF signals up to 100
MHz and frequency up to 512 MHz.  I can use these three instruments (within
the range limits of each) to utilize other not-so-accurate instruments (such
as my signal generator) while achieving accurate results.  Understand your
needs, and for a one-shot measurement, ask around for folks who can do those
measurements for you (an aquantence who works in an electronics lab???), or
investigate electronic equipment rental places - it is usually better to
rent than to buy if you are only going to use it once.

So for your direct question, I would opt for the frequency counter rather
than the signal generator - you can make a simple signal generator from a
crystal oscillator and determine the exact frequency with your counter, and
the signal generator level can be determined with an RF Probe if need be.
More convenience in test equipment means more dollars, but the same results
can be obtained by alternate means if one applies a bit of creative thinking
about other known accurate instruments that may be available.  Sometimes the
use of such fundamentals as Ohms Law and similarly basic relationships can
be used in conjunction with your array of available instruments to expand
your capabilities at little extra cost - for example, a voltmeter becomes a
current meter with a bit of Ohms Law application and a small value resistor.

73,
Don W3FPR